Contact HR On-Call
Salary Wage Range Disclosure. Effective October 1, 2021, employers are required to provide to applicants the wage range for a position upon request or prior to/at the time an offer is made. Additionally, employers must provide wage ranges for an employee’s position at time of hire, when the position changes, or upon the employee’s first request. The FAQ was recently updated as well.
Age Inquiries on Employment Applications. Effective October 1, 2021, employers may not request or require applicants to provide age, date of birth, or dates of attendance/graduation from an educational institute on an initial employment application, unless age is a bona fide occupational qualification or required to be provided under state or federal law.
Recreational Marijuana. Adults of 21 years or older may use marijuana recreationally. Effective July 1, 2022, employment-related provisions go into effect: for example, employers may not prohibit off-the-clock use of marijuana and cannot refuse to hire or take adverse actions against employees on the basis of legal use. There are limited circumstances in which employers can still take adverse action against employees, such as a reasonable suspicion of marijuana use while performing work duties, or when symptoms of drug impairment decrease the employee’s job performance. Certain positions (e.g., firefighters, police and correctional officers, positions regulated by the Department of Transportation, etc.) are not covered by this law.
- Prepare a process for disclosing wage ranges for open positions, and update offer letters and new hire procedures accordingly.
- Update employment applications to remove prohibited information fields.
- Train appropriate personnel on appropriate interview questions.
- Update substance abuse policies and drug testing programs.
- Train appropriate personnel on recognizing marijuana impairment.
- Subscribers can call our HR On-Call Hotline at (888) 378-2456 for further assistance.
Disclaimer: This document is designed to provide general information and guidance concerning employment-related issues. It is presented with the understanding that ManagEase is not engaged in rendering any legal opinions. If a legal opinion is needed, please contact the services of your own legal adviser.
© 2021 ManagEase