All Employers with VA Employees
January 27, 2021
Contact HR On-Call
Virginia’s Emergency Temporary Standard addressing COVID-19 in the workplace expired on January 26th, and a permanent standard was enacted in its place, effective the following day. The temporary and permanent standards are largely similar with some important distinctions.
- Workplace Exclusion – Employees with COVID-19 must remain away from work for the required exclusion period. Employers should not require a negative COVID-19 test as a condition of returning to work, unless expressly permitted. Employers are not required to exclude employees who have been in close contact with someone with COVID-19.
- Face Coverings and Shields – Approved face coverings were further clarified, including that a face shield is not a substitute for a face covering.
- Air Systems – Employers with employees in the top three risk tiers must implement certain ventilation controls for air systems under their control, such as increasing airflow and air filtration, and using natural ventilation in ground transportation settings.
- Virginia Dept. of Health Reporting – Employers are required to report to the Virginia Department of Health when two or more of its employees test positive for COVID-19 within a 14-day period, rather than the previous requirement of reporting for every COVID-19 case.
- Review the Permanent Emergency Standard here.
- Have COVID-19 prevention procedures updated for compliance.
- Have appropriate personnel trained on the new requirements.
- Subscribers can call our HR On-Call Hotline at (888) 378-2456 for further assistance.
Disclaimer: This document is designed to provide general information and guidance concerning employment-related issues. It is presented with the understanding that ManagEase is not engaged in rendering any legal opinions. If a legal opinion is needed, please contact the services of your own legal adviser.
© 2021 ManagEase