Connecticut: New Wage Transparency and Pay Equity Requirements, Coming Soon
All Employers with CT Employees
October 1, 2021
Contact HR On-Call
Changes are coming soon for Connecticut employers in the realm of pay transparency and equity. House Bill No. 6380, effective October 1, 2021, will require employers to provide applicants and employees with wage range information under various circumstances. It also expands the standards used in gender wage discrimination claims and requires greater pay equity.
Wage Ranges. Employers are required to provide wage ranges—defined as the range of wages an employer anticipates relying on when setting wages for a position—under the following circumstances:
- Applicants: when an applicant requests a wage range, or prior to or at the time the applicant is made an offer of compensation;
- Employees: upon hire, when there is a change in the employee’s position with the employer, or the first time an employee makes a request for a wage range.
Pay Equity: Currently, employers are required to pay employees of different genders who perform equal work the same rate. The bill amends the law to instead prohibit employers from paying workers of differing sexes less for comparable work. Exceptions that justify wage differentials have also been expanded to include level of credential, skill, and geographic location.
- Review personnel and payroll systems to ensure wage range information can be made available timely when requested or required to be provided.
- Have a pay equity audit performed for compliance.
- Have appropriate personnel trained on new requirements.
- Subscribers can call our HR On-Call Hotline at (888) 378-2456 for further assistance.
Disclaimer: This document is designed to provide general information and guidance concerning employment-related issues. It is presented with the understanding that ManagEase is not engaged in rendering any legal opinions. If a legal opinion is needed, please contact the services of your own legal adviser.
© 2021 ManagEase